Friday, August 17, 2012

Accessorize, Accessorize

I'm a girly-girl, if you haven't figured that out yet.  I love pink.  I love florals.  I love high heels.  I love glitter/sparkles/bedazzles.  And I LOVE accessories.  Accessories are fun because they transform your outfit.  You can wear the same dress week after week, but if you mix up the accessories, no one will notice that you're a repeat offender.  It's all about working with what you have in your closet and in your jewelry box.  It's much more affordable to spruce up an existing outfit with a new $4 pair of earrings (I'm 32 and I still shop at Forever 21 for their jewelry selection!) or to use that old polka dot scarf as a belt.  Carry a different purse.  Wear flats this time instead of wedges.  The combinations are endless.


 My top 5 favorite accessories right now:

#1 Envelope clutches

http://us.asos.com/countryid/2/ASOS-Side-Metal-Bar-Clutch/y1skf/?iid=2156965&MID=35719&affid=2135&WT.tsrc=Affiliate&siteID=Hy3bqNL2jtQ-V5q6PYGfOFpv3.ja9iu5lQ 
I am notorious for carrying huge handbags, the ones that people pick up and say "oh my god, you're going to have back problems."  Nah, just ripped arms and I'm always prepared when you need something: gum, band-aids, sunscreen, change, nail polish remover.  It's all in there.  Clutches are great because they keep you honest.  You can't carry a phone charger, your Kindle, 6 bottles of nail policy, and a large paddle brush.  You take with you what you need: cell, wallet, lip gloss, hair elastic.  

#2 Statement necklaces



This necklace is probably my favorite costume piece in my collection.  It cost me less than $20 at TJ Maxx and I don't need much else to go with it.  A plain top and some small simple earrings (or no earrings) and the necklace speaks for the whole ensemble.  That's the beauty of the statement necklace... you can look effortlessly stylish by throwing it on before you run out the door, instead of standing there staring in your closet deciding on how you can be fabulous that day.

#3 Studs & spikes

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=25162777
http://www.sheinside.com/Lady-Peep-Toe-Spikes-150-Pumps-Black-Silver-p-82167-cat-1750.html

Yes, they can be girly.  Just throw in some glitter or rhinestones and you've got something that's both feminine and edgy.  No one's going to pick a fight with you while you're wearing this trend.  Even if you're rocking the florals with the studs- my favorite combo right now.  Not sure how to work it in?  Load up an armful of bracelets (see #4) and throw a studded bangle into the mix.  You'll know if it's right for you.

#4 An armful of bracelets

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Main.aspx?br=f21 
Seeing this trend all over Pinterest.  Forever 21 (again, super fab accessories and ridiculous prices) is your destination to load up on arm candy.  My favorite is the wrist watch/bracelet combination.  There are so many watches out there right now that are gorgeous enough to be worn as a bracelet, so why not add them to the mix?

#5 Big, printed sunglasses

Summer is coming to an end, sadly.  But you can wear your big colorful sunglasses until daylight savings time reminds you to hang them up until next year.  I never order sunglasses online because I like to see how they fit my face.  I always have the best luck at TJ Maxx and Marshalls.  You can get a fabulous designer pair for a very reasonable price, and if they break or you lose them, it's not AS devastating.  Unless you lose these.  And then you're allowed to cry yourself to sleep.

http://www.shopthetrendboutique.com/blumohesuinp2.html?source=pjn&subid=2845

Here are some of my favorite accessory pins, courtesy of Pinterest:

Love the colors here, and also the bracelets.  This is a great transition style from summer to fall.  

Super cute... a lot of my favorite things going on here: lace, neon (and pink!), spikes/studs, and stacked bracelets.  Total winner.

Envelope clutch AND florals, paired with some netural colors & plain gold bracelets.  Love.

How fun are these???

Here's the statement necklace, again with simple clothing & colors, and a super fabulous clutch.

So the next time you're looking at your clothes saying "I've got nothing to wear" or "Ugh, I just wore that," think again and get creative with your accessories.  You'll be surprised...you've got more options than you think!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment