Thursday, August 30, 2012

FashInspiration: SJP as Carrie Bradshaw

Whenever I feel like I'm in a style rut and need some fresh ideas, there are many places that I turn to.  Magazines, Pinterest, Facebook style pages... but the one source I return to again and again is a little show you may have heard of: Sex and the City.  The show has been off the air for almost 10 years, but the fashion is timeless.  Carrie Bradshaw may be a fictional character, but she is very real to many of us.

The best thing about Carrie's style is that she figures out how to make anything work.  Tutus, crazy accessories, sky-high heels that make you say "HOW does she strut down 5th Avenue in those?"  She makes it work because she has the confidence to pull it off.  Confidence is the key to wearing whatever you want.  No one ever died taking a fashion risk, at least from what I can recall.

Here's a recap of my favorite Carrie Bradshaw looks over the years.  Whatever challenges she faced in love, she more than made up for in looking fabulous through the good times and the bad.  

When someone says "Carrie Bradshaw," this is the first outfit that comes to mind.  It's fun, frilly, feminine and fabulous.  I fell in love with tiered skirts and dresses, and embraced my naturally curly hair.

In this photo, Carrie lets the accessories do the talking.  I love the strands and strands of necklaces, and wearing her hair up really puts the focus on the pearls.  This is also when I learned that exposed bra straps are not the faux pas that I once thought they were.  Of course, if it's laundry day and you've got some ratty old bra on, no one wants to see that.  But Carrie somehow found a way to make bra straps look classy.

I love everything about this outfit!!!  This was when I first started thinking about mixing prints, and stripes and florals became one of my favorite combinations.  Both the jacket and the dress are fabulous.  Two items that you would never think to put them together, but when you see them on Carrie, they are so "YES!"  

It's all about the details here: sparkly top, skinny tie, fab clutch, sleek ponytail, and a cosmo.  I can't remember what she was wearing on the bottom here but I remembered thinking: "Sparkles aren't just for little girls."

Love love love.  This outfit is so smart and wonderfully coordinated.  You CAN wear red and pink together as long as you have one piece to tie it in.  Here, the colorful skirt makes it all work.  I must admit, I don't like the shoes or the bag, but this is actually the first time I noticed them because I was always too busy obsessing over the skirt/top/coat combo.  

It's all about the shoes: I learned that from Carrie from day 1.   These are my favorite shoes from the show.  She could have been wearing a burlap sack and these shoes would still land her on the best dressed list.  Of course she didn't wear a burlap sack...she wore a ridiculously stunning dress and coat.  Lace, ruffles, florals... again so feminine and fabulous.  Carrie embraced the girly-girl aspect of dressing up.  I can't remember many times that she wore pants.

She DID wear pants here, however...and I loved it.  A very simple outfit for Carrie.  She WAS going to jury duty, so you have to respect her for wanting to look refined.  High-waisted pants & suspenders: killer. 

Floral accent- don't leave home without it!  I remember when Carrie went through the big floral pin phase during the series, and I loved it.  They took it to a whole new level in the movie... and nailed it.  The dress is so fierce, you really don't need to accessorize. 

Ahhh...the day Carrie was "drunk at Vogue."  I'd forgive pretty much any behavior for this fabulous suit and pin combo.  Super glam, but true to herself with her signature "Carrie" necklace.  

Carrie definitely forgot the pants here...but she was too busy being a "non-model."  I LOVE the coat!  Leopard was and continues to be such a fabulous accent.  

I could go on and on, but I'll end this Carrie Bradshaw tribute with the super fantastic gown that she wore in Paris.  She never made it out of the hotel room in this beauty, and that's when I knew that Petrovsky had to go.  Who stands up this lady, or this dress?

Hope you enjoyed this little trip down Carrie Bradshaw Fashion Lane.  Who is YOUR style icon?









No comments:

Post a Comment